Python program distribution revisited

Mark C mchalkley at notthispart.direcway.com
Mon May 27 12:11:10 EDT 2002

All,

I looked at starting to use Python instead of Perl for custom data
conversion programs a couple years ago, but discarded the idea because
of the difficulty in distributing standalone Python apps to production
machines.

Have there been any significant improvements to Python in this regard in
the interim?  Is this an area ActiveState has addressed, for example, as
they did with their Perl PDK?  I'd really like to use Python in the
future, but the ability to easily produce an exe that's (relatively)
small in size, and requires no additional files, is an absolute
necessity.

Thanks!

Mark C.