Python Usage

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon May 20 13:19:13 EDT 2002

"cddlens at yahoo.com" wrote:

> I'm currently investigating Python for potential
> company adoption, and it seems to be quite powerful.
> I have some fundamental questions however:
>
> Is Python commonly used throughout an enterprise (such
> as within IT, MIS) for script generation,

Yes.

> or mostly by software groups and teams that have dedicated
> programmers writing full-blown applications?

Yes.

> Is often used by system managers as a replacement for batch
> files or multiplatform scripting?

Yes.

> Is it more common within software/technology organizations
> or within other sectors such as financial and manufacturing?

Yes to that too.  Python is used in many, many different
areas and companies, so you'll have to refine your questions.

What are you really trying to find out?  These are not
"fundamental" questions -- they are trivia -- and non-facetious
answers would depend entirely on the context.  What does your
company do, and for what purpose do you intend to use Python?

Are you concerned that you'll find few others companies doing
the same thing?  So what?  When I started using Python for
our factory automated testing system development, I was not
aware of anyone else doing the same kind of thing.  That was
no reason not to do it, however, since it was clearly the
right approach.  Let's talk about your actual requirements.

-Peter