Browsing a big mailbox offline

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed May 29 10:56:12 EDT 2002

[Sebastien SAUVAGE]

> I'm looking for a convenient way for browsing *offline* the marvellous
> comp.lang.python archive (a nice 397 Mb mailbox file available at
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/ )

> I found no news client capable of reading/importing a raw unix mailbox.
> Does anybody know a news client capable of this ?  (platform : Windows)
> Or will I have to install a local NNTP server ?  (something like CoffeeLink
> Open News Server or Hamster ?)

If I had the above problem, I'd probably do like usual for me in such cases:
I would write a Python script able to turn the big mailbox file into a Gnus
`nnml' structure (not difficult, I guess), and then use Gnus to read it.
When the archive file is 30 Megs or less, I usually read it directly
with Gnus.  It is a very nice reader for my needs.