Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed May 1 07:42:08 EDT 2002

"Patrick W" <quitelikely at yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
news:826628efe5.fsf at acropolis.localdomain...
> rmelson at gilia.nmsu.edu ("Bob Melson") writes:
>
> > If you're asked to build a house, you certainly don't confine
> > yourself to a single tool -- you use the tools appropriate to the
> > job you have to do; why should it be different with scripting
> > languages?
>
> Because the "right tool for the right job" approach is wrong in this
> context. It should apply to the choice of language _categories_, not
> languages _within_ a category. There are better things to do with time
> and mental energy than learn a dozen different ways of doing the same
> thing.
>
> If it took a minimum of six months to learn how to push two different
> brands of wheelbarrow, can you imagine an experienced builder saying
> to his apprentice: learn both?

Speaking as someone who bought a house just over a year ago, I'd be very
surprised if the builder *had* apprentices, and even more surprised if any
of them could pronounce "wheelbarrow".

Seems to me that the IT industry would be a fruitful place to reintroduce
the concepts of the mediaeval apprenticeship.

buut-only-if-i-get-to-be-master-ly y'rs  - steve
--

Steve Holden: http://www.holdenweb.com/ ; Python Web Programming:
http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/