pygtk vs. wxPython

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Fri May 17 14:46:46 EDT 2002

Thomas Guettler <zopestoller at thomas-guettler.de> wrote in
news:3CE4E081.10908 at thomas-guettler.de:
> I investigated during the last weeks which is better:
> +pygtk or wxpython.
>
> After programming some code with both libraries, I prefer
> pygtk.
>
> I prefere pygtk because wxpython has an extra layer in
> the library stack:
>
> wxpython -- wxwindows -- wxgtk -- gtk
>
> pygtk -- gtk
>
> Do others share or disagree with this oppinion?

that extra layer does not hurt... it's in c/c++ so speed is not an issue.

> How well does pygtk run on windows?

last time i tried it it had some minor bugs - but that's one or two
releases ago, so no measure.
but i would note on the negative side that it hasn't the native look. it
is good but many users will complain about the look. the same aplies to
tkinter.

pyQT and wxWindows both look better. and wxWindows wins for me because of
the more liberal license.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>