grokking generators and iterators

Bob Horvath usenet at horvath.com
Sat May 11 01:40:44 EDT 2002

We have a document repository at work whose "database" is a flat text
file. The search engine on it is lame, and I want to create a better
one, but I need to work with the format that exists.  Having recently
learned about generators, I thought it might be a good fit,
Unfortunately, I am struggling to find an easy way to do it.  I am
wondering if I just don't grok the new features, or if they aren't a
good fix.

I don't think it matters what the format is. It is a repeating pattern
of 5 lines.

How would you suggest writing a generator that spits out 5 line chunks
of a file at a time?

How would you do it without generators?