string module

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Wed May 22 13:27:53 EDT 2002

Fernando P?rez wrote:

> >> Wow, that's a peice of work!
> >
> > thanks! it's even better if you apply the one-liner readline-patch 558432 on
> > sourceforge :-)
>
> By the way Holger, have you submitted this patch to the main python-dev
> people?

the given number *is* the patch number on sourceforge. I don't know whether
i should assign it to somebody or just wait?

> I _hate_ the normal readline behavior which forces me to backspace
> every time, I just didn't know fixing it was this simple.

I don't think that *anybody* loves this 'space'.
It also contradicts the coding-style as described in PEP 8.

> But C things that don't become part of the standard distro get ignored by 99% of people, since
> that is the 99% which doesn't build its own python. For pure python modules
> it's easier to distribute a replacement, but sine this is a C patch I hope it
> becomes part of the standard distribution.

hope so too.

> I'll test the rlcompleter2/ipython merge as soon as I can.

We probably have to discuss the filename-completion thingie a bit...

cheers,

	holger