Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Thu May 9 03:34:24 EDT 2002

James J. Besemer wrote:

> That's a very interesting point.
>
> Please enlighten us: what is the numeric ratio I would have to
> demonstrate so that the English adjective "many" fairly applies?

Knock it off, Besemer.  The English language gets levelled enough
wihtout you trying to rub the edges off 'interesting' and turn it
into Newspeak.  Some of us need that word when we want to express
our interest in a subject.  Frequently, we want to use it in
precisely the same context as you care to abuse it -- wow, somebody
disagreed with me and made me think new and interesting thoughts,
care to expand on this point some more? so it is quite important
to not let you get away with such things.

But more importantly, nobody is interested in playing any status
games with you.

You can stop agreeing with the Martellibot as well.  We have already
recognized his competance, which is why he is a bot.  Stop trying to
destablise our egalitarian society with your nasty status plays.  You
get negative respect points here for simply saying 'I agree' to the
Martellibot -- we just wasted our time reading drivel because you
wanted to rub shoulders with the competant in a status-enhancing
fashion.  Lots of newcomers here start out that way, poor victims
of a status-driven environment, but most of them notice that it
is not necessary and stop all by themselves.

Dear Ray Tux and other Newbies who are reading this -- becoming a
great programmer takes more than a month, but you can cop the
arrogant programmer attitude, as practiced by James Besemer and
learn THAT in a month, for certain.  Don't do it.  If you look back
you will see how Besemer was perfectly willing to take correction
from Steve Holden and Cliff Wells, individuals that he has marked
as 'high-status' so that he can claim the a rank in the barnyard
pecking order as 'friend of the mighty'.  But since I made it quite
explicit that he was not my friend, he wouldn't take it from me.
(Admittedly, I stacked things by using extremely angry language,
but I wanted to see how shallow his claim to like straight blunt
talk was).  Follow this path and you can spend your life wondering
when your essential lack of authenticity will cause you to be found
out.  And looking for the next argument, as well.

Laura