how to determine an 'open' string?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri May 17 04:51:24 EDT 2002

holger krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> writes:

> Michael Hudson wrote:
> > holger krekel <pyth at devel.trillke.net> writes:
> >
> > > hello,
> > >
> > > with my replacement rlcompleter module i'd like to
> > > have a *correct* check if a string is 'open'.
> > > examples:
> >
> > You're going to have fun with strings containing spaces aren't you?
>
> huh? not that i know of :-)

Because of the way readline works.  It calls the completer function
with the word stem, so if the buffer looks like

>>> "a very long string
                       ^
when you hit TAB the completer will get sent just "string" (I think).

Cheers,
M.

--
  > say-hi-to-the-flying-pink-elephants-for-me-ly y'rs,
  No way, the flying pink elephants are carrying MACHINE GUNS!
  Aiiee!!  Time for a kinder, gentler hallucinogen...
                               -- Barry Warsaw & Greg Ward, python-dev