Compiling python2.2.1 on redHat 6.1 - doesn't work

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Wed May 22 07:43:48 EDT 2002

matthew.russell at securetrading.com (Matt Russell) wrote in message news:<bb06817.0205210533.d8d5ffb at posting.google.com>...
> Hi, I have been attempting to compile python 2.2.1 (compiled from
> source)
>

> Machine info:
> Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)

I have the same operating system running on my laptop - so I'll
probably try this at some point.

[...]

> ./Modules/posixmodule.c: In function `posix_nice':
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c:1270: warning: implicit declaration of
> function
> `getpriority'
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c:1270: `PRIO_PROCESS' undeclared (first use in
> this
> function)
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c:1270: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
> only
> once
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c:1270: for each function it appears in.)
> make: *** [Modules/posixmodule.o] Error
>

> Anyone got any ideas? please??!

Yes, the posixmodule expects a declaration which obviously isn't
found. I would suspect that since 2.1 (which is the most recent
release I've built), either posixmodule has been enhanced and is no
longer compatible with RH6.1 "out of the box", or that your build
configuration isn't quite right.

On RH7.x, the following files contain some kind of definition of
PRIO_PROCESS:

  /usr/include/bits/resource.h
  /usr/include/linux/resource.h

It would surprise me if the latter of these header files was
"standard" for building application programs or software like Python.
Perhaps you need to modify the build configuration to search the
former file when building posixmodule.

Paul