Multi-precision packages: gmpy vs mxNumber

cmkl cmkleffner at gmx.de
Wed May 15 06:18:48 EDT 2002

Gerhard Häring <gerhard at bigfoot.de> wrote in message news:<slrnae3flo.as7.gerhard at lilith.my-fqdn.de>...
> Fernando Pérez wrote in comp.lang.python:
> > Do any of the experts have any advice on the pros and cons of these two GMP
> > wrappers? [...]
>
> While we're at it, is there any Python extension for fixed point
> arithmetic available? pyPgSQL has a fixed point type implemented in
> Python, which should eventually be replaced by a C type. It would be
> great if I could borrow code somewhere.
>
> Gerhard

Not exactly what you want, but David H. Bailey's multiprecision software
(see http://www.nersc.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/mpdist.html) should be easily
swigable, esp. the "C/C++ and Fortran-90 quad-double and double-double
precision programs" (http://www.nersc.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/qd.tar.gz).
See also: http://www.nersc.gov/~dhbailey/dhbpapers/arith15.pdf   and
          http://www.nersc.gov/~dhbailey/dhbpapers/quad-double.pdf

Carl