"One Bullet is never enough" Paper

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Tue May 21 05:39:40 EDT 2002

Hello!

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 03:20:06AM +0000, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> I would note several things:

   Wow! Very nice and reasonable!! Thank you very much for the post!!!

> 1) "Lock" happens when the cost to replace the sum total of the system
>     components (hardware, software, networking, and most importantly,
>     data) is not justified by some reasonable economic measure.

   Unfortunately, there are managers who, despite economic evidence, eat
ADs and FUD ("We don't want any linux in our office because it is text OS").

> 4) Nothwistanding all the Microsoft-bashing so fashionable these days, it
>    is interesting to note that there are *more* languages, operating systems,
>    and hardware platforms from which to choose than ever before.

   Hm... When my children go to the nearset shop and buy games there, the
games are, by strange accident, always for Windows, DirectX, often
"optimized" for GeForce video card, etc. Now, what hardware and software
should I choose for my home PC? :) Isn't it "lock"?

> 5) Every vendor has tried to achieve account control in some manner.  MS, IBM,
>    Sun, Oracle, et al play this game at fearsome levels.  However, they
>    never manage to quite succeed because per 2) above, real IT problems
>    cannot be solved with a single-vendor solution.
[skip]
> So, I wouldn't worry too much about C# locking users in.  I'd worry more
> (if you object to Microsoft's further success - I don't)

   I don't worry about their success - I worry about their power. They play
unlawful games, they lobbying to chnage the very law - that's scary. I want
to put them back unto lawful road, and then hope that your point 5 will be
applied to them.

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru