making python scripts backwards compatible

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun May 5 13:05:21 EDT 2002

"Brian Quinlan" <brian at sweetapp.com> writes:

> Determining your version requirements is too much to ask. I wrote the
> module is question and, before reading this thread, I had no idea what
> the version requirements were (1). Are patch writers also required to
> test against multiple Python versions?

Not at all. Any library module must only work with the Python version
that it ships with. It is up to the author of the module to impose
stronger portability requirements. E.g. Fredrik Lundh requires that
SRE continues to work with Python 1.5.2 and later; I require that the
PyXML code (minidom, pyexpat) works with Python 2.0 and later. If you
want to change SimpleXMLRPCServer to work with earlier Python version,
feel free to, but it is not required.

Regards,
Martin