Emulating Pascal input

Michael Williams michael.williams at st-annes.oxford.ac.uk
Wed May 29 09:20:39 EDT 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002 12:03:20 +0100, Michael Williams wrote:
> We're currently running a trial implementation of a teaching course in
> Python here at the University of Oxford Physics department. The current
> course uses Pascal and, although it works well, is obviously sub-optimal
> for a modern undergraduate education.
>
> Details of the results of the trial will be posted to EDU-sig when it is
> complete, but for now we're trying to address what we see as a
> limitation of Python for introductory programming, namely input.

Dear all,

Sorry about my total failure to respond to any of your kind and helpful
suggestions. I can adsure you that I have read them all, and will be
collating the results in the dissertation I am producing on Python's
suitability as a teaching language. However, a time-crunch has meant It has
not been possible for me to respond in detail to all of your comments.

In summary, I tend to agree with most of you when you say that we should
teach the ``Python way'', but I need to think about it in more detail.

So this is just to let you know that I'm still alive, and will be posting in
couple of weeks with a) the URL of my dissertation and b) some specific
points that I've asked for comments on this newsgroup.

See you on the other side,
--
Michael