calendar.py doesn't use lists???

Aaron Watters aaron at reportlab.com
Mon May 6 09:51:36 EDT 2002

Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1019518961.19251.python-list at python.org>...

> This was real code breakage, despite that Aaron was mucking with
> undocumented interals.  We don't *want* to break stuff like that either.
> But even pure bugfixes can break somebody's code, and sometimes they do.

Historically most of the most useful python library modules have
had limited documentation :).  At this point I have no idea what
is documented and what isn't -- maybe I should check more often.

Seriously, though, isn't regenerating month names on every access
a bit over the top?  Why not just generate real lists once and provide
some function that can regenerate them if and when the locale changes?

How many applications have locale changes in the middle of a process
run?

This reminds me of a story in "The Mythical Man Month" where part
an IBM operating system kernel was devoted to dealing with daylight
savings time (back when bytes costed multiple hundred dollars and core
was measured in K's).

Just had to gripe again.  -- Aaron Watters

===
There ain't no sanity clause!