Has Red Hat helped or hurt?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun May 12 18:52:54 EDT 2002

On Sat, May 11, 2002 at 07:43:08PM -0400, Mike Brenner wrote:
>Just curious: How many minutes, nay how many seconds, did it take the
>Python community to ship Red Hat a Python 1.7 release that happens to
>be identical to Python 2.2.1, except the label on the CD?

A minor number release, like going from 1.6 to 1.7 should not, according to
Python standards, cause existing 1.x code to break.  This convention is
part of the reason that Red Hat only does minor number updates in their
minor number releases...

So, how long would it take for such a 1.7 release to be made by the Python
community?  Forever, Guido would never bless it...

Sean
--
 What we see depends on mainly what we look for.
                 -- John Lubbock