Newbie Database.

Corey Woodworth schitz0boy at hotmail.com
Mon May 27 22:41:38 EDT 2002

"Gillou" <nospam at bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<acu1g4$2kr5$1 at norfair.nerim.net>...
> "Corey Woodworth" <schitz0boy at hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
> 24d8090a.0205270854.6cadc50b at posting.google.com...
> > How should I save my database file for instance? I was thinking a text
> > file full of strings like this perhaps:
> >
> > songname::artist::performer::filename:: ... ...
>
> You'd better use a real database engine rather than a flat formatted file.
> "Many to 1", "1 to many" or (better) "many to many" relations are very
> difficult to handle in a flat text file. Even in XML, it's quite hard to
> handle.

Yeah I had a feeling that it would be cumbersome. Do you know of any
database engines that are easily controlled by python and/or easy to
learn :) I've never really been exposed to them before.

> > But I think there are probably better ways. Are there any tutorials on
> > databases? Modules I should look into? Similar python programs that I
> > should read the sources for?
>
> Start here to have some enlightenments on how to use databases from python:
>
> http://www.python.org/sigs/db-sig/

I'll definetly check that out. Thanks.

> But you should first focus on your database design/structure before diving
> into the python code.

Thats my plan :) This definetly calls for tons of psuedo-code. I just
don't really know where to start.