Python vs. Perl, which is better to learn?

Mike Coleman mkc+dated+1023593563.d9fedd at mathdogs.com
Thu May 9 23:36:50 EDT 2002

"David J. Ritchie" <ritchie at fnal.gov> writes:
> > Can we assume that you would reindent the code to fit the surroundings
> > if you were writing in e.g. C also?

> But of course the point is that if you didn't quite do it just exactly
> right, but left whatever block delimiters the language had in place,
> it would not have a disastrous effect on the execution logic.

If you didn't do it right, though, you have a different problem, which is
(best case) that your code is hard to read or (worst case) that your code
appears to a casual reader do one thing when in fact it does something else.

One of the great virtues of Python's syntax is that it means exactly what it
looks like it means.