Sleep command

holger krekel pyth at devel.trillke.net
Fri May 3 14:31:15 EDT 2002

Jeff Shannon wrote:
> In article <mailman.1020420187.1268.python-list at python.org>,
> holger krekel says...
> > [Brian Nulty Fri, May 03, 2002 at 10:38:26AM +0100]
> > Brian> The "sleep" command is not working for me in Jython 2.1. The
> > Brian> specification is:
> > Brian>
> > Brian> sleep(30); # to sleep for 30 seconds
> >
> > import time
> > time.sleep(30)
> >
> > and time should stand still for 30 seconds.
> > btw, i would rather call it 'statement','command' or 'code' than
> > 'specification'.
>
> Picking nits here, but I would call it a function, because that
> is exactly what it is.  I most certainly would *not* call it a
> statement -- that term has a definite meaning in this context,
> and sleep() is *not* a statement.  :)

picking nits here, but how is 'sleep(30)' or 'time.sleep(30)'
a function?

In my view calling it

- statement refers to the view of the parser
  Stmt([Discard(CallFunc(Name('sleep'), [Const(30)], None, None))])

- command refers to the imperative nature of this thing
  (it is not a declaration or 'specification'). "Sleep now!"

- code is general slang for everything feedable to compiler/interpreter
 "grok this..."

nit picking is what many of us ware best at on this list, i guess.
After all it often makes a difference :-)

    holger