Package __init__ question

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Thu May 23 15:39:29 EDT 2002

"David LeBlanc" <whisper at oz.net> wrote in
news:mailman.1022178791.2145.python-list at python.org:

> I downloaded a package - let's call it "fumble" - and when I installed
> it, it put itself into site-packages directly and not a sub-directory
> of it. Since I want to keep the site-packages directory clean, I
> created a subdirectory called fumble and copied all the fumble files
> into it. I added an empty __init__.py file and it didn't work. Only
> after I added the line "from fumble import *" to the __init__ file did
> it work.

did't it work with an empty __init__.py but importing "fumble.fumble" ?
the import * you use is needed no get rid of the additional hiearchy level
which you created throug you subdir.

> Is this the correct way that packages are meant to work? I kind of
> doubt it, but looking over the pythondoc failed to suggest any
> alternative (my solution was a lucky guess). Comments and pointers to
> good doc appreciated.

i'm using something like that in my pyserial package. __init__.py decides
which platform its running on and imports * from a platform dependant
source file.

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>