OT: Crazy Programming

Gonçalo Rodrigues op73418 at mail.telepac.pt
Wed May 15 20:38:04 EDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002 15:24:08 -0700, Cliff Wells
<logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 May 2002 13:17:19 -0400
>Christopher Encapera wrote:
>
>> lol!  If she has, she has not let me in on the betrayal! (that would be so
>> 'artsy fartsy' of her:)  On a more serious note, I do subscribe to that old
>> fashioned notion of the hierarchy of value, which recognizes that some
>> things, some philosophies, even some cultures & art are better than others.
>> While Willie Nelson's 'blue eyes cryin in the rain' might not be Mozart, it
>> is vastly superior (in every respect) to say, the rapper of the week (or
>> that "modern art" that sits in front of county hall).  And that ain't no
>> personal opinion - that is objective truth - the very foundation of the
>> universe, the ground of all being and meaning, agrees with this evaluation
>> (i.e. it is objective truth!).  Indeed what is arrogant is that philosophy
>> so popular these days that everything is relative - that there can be no
>> (other than subjective) evaluation of right and wrong, good and bad, art
>> and, well, bad art - it is an arrogant relativism gone wild :)  But none of
>> this has much to do with that honorable, high art of programming python, and
>> will be my last laugh - I mean post - on the matter ;)
>
>I'm reminded of the Smith's "Hang the DJ":
>
>"because the music he constantly plays / says nothing to _me_ about _my_ life"
>[emphasis added]
>
>There can never be an "objective" view of art.  It either speaks to you or it
>doesn't, but that is entirely subjective (unless of course you can prove that a
>particular piece speaks to no one).

There is only one style of music that I believe is universally bad:
Heavy metal and its offsprings. Only when mixed in with other styles and
even then for the thing to function they have to be done by musicians of
the highest calibre and at their best (Young Gods, John Zorn and a few
others). And about the people that like Heavy metal, well, what can I
say? Just look at them banging their heads and spreading their dandruff
for a quarter of a mile ;-)

Best,
Gonçalo Rodrigues