Licensing question

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun May 19 23:15:13 EDT 2002

[Adonis]
> this might provoke a flame war, which i hope that it will not occur, and
> hope that it can be responded in a more mature intellectual manner.

That's a good way to provoke a flamewar <wink>.

> my question is can a program written in Python be sold? i have read
> the python license and could not find it too clear, or i just have
> misread it.

There's no prohibition in the license against selling derivative works, and
to the contrary it explicitly grants you a royalty-free license to do so.
If you include Python itself in your distribution, then the license does
impose some specific requirements on you (must include PSF's license and
copyright, and must include a brief summary of the changes you made to
Python).

If you're merely writing your program *in* Python, and not redistributing
(all or any part of) the Python distribution too, then that's your work
alone, and the Python license is irrelevant.