COM, Tk and threads

Jon Bills jon_bills at hotmail.com
Thu May 2 15:10:38 EDT 2002

"dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> wrote in message
news:0gfA8.10739$d7.3470059 at newssrv26.news.prodigy.com...

[snip]

> when the Python COM server is done it can write a message to a named pipe.
> have the python script spawn a thead that periodically checks the pipe,
and
> when it finds the done message it can do what ever you want done.  this
> allows the pieces to communicate w/o being tied.

Sounds good. Coincidentally, I'd already started looking at pipes for a
possible solution. Is there any advantage to the pipes supplied with the
PythonWin extensions over the standard pipe functionality (besides the
obvious portability issue)? I'll try experimenting when I get back to work
tomorrow.

> depending upon how often the pipe is checked, you might either have a
slight
> lag in the application, or use a little more processor, but that seems
> easily tuneable.

I don't foresee a problem, as there's a lot of idle time in the application.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,

Jon.