Golfing in OOLs

Thomas Gagné tgagne at ameritech.net
Tue May 21 18:38:05 EDT 2002

I was staring at a score card from Rackham earlier today and
was wondering about our Golfing in Smalltalk project (an OO
languages in general).

What is a Golf Hole?  What is a Golf Course?

Rackham has only have one 'course', but each 'hole' has
three 'tees'.  Each one has a different yardage.  On the
last hole the forward tees have a different par (it's a par
4 and the other tees are par 5s).  I don't have it in front
of me now, but I think there may be two separate slope
ratings between the back and forward tees.  Obviously,
because of the separate pars on the last hole the forward
and back tees have different pars for the course.

Most courses give different tees a different color, but the
coloring schemes are inconsistent between courses.  Some
courses name their tees, (men's, ladies, seniors, juniors)
but not all courses have four tee boxes on each hole.

I thought it might make sense to make each group of tees a
separate course.  But then I thought of golfing with my
wife, or on mixed leagues, where the same card may have
players playing different tees, but they're still scored
against each other.

Would there be a problem with two players playing against
each other on two separate courses?  Presumably not, since
each player's score is measured in terms relative to the
course's par.  This solves the problem of my wife and I
playing Rackham together and allows (as a fringe benefit) my
buddy Tim and I playing at two different courses but still
against each other, he at Torrey Pines and me at Palmer Park
(his course is decidedly more prestigious and difficult and
I may need to spot him a few strokes, but what the heck?).

What are your thoughts?

--
.tom