Low level memory management

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed May 22 16:58:57 EDT 2002

"Lorenzo Bolognini" <false at email.com> wrote in
news:KLMG8.1134$z87.12314 at twister2.libero.it:

> Hi all,
>
> is there a way to manipulate at a low level memory in Python (as in C)
> ?

first, look at the struct module it is good to convert memory from c or
others to python types and back.
(it works with strings containing the memory, where do you get those from,
is an other question)

> I know that Python wasn't thought to do that but there maybe a Python
> module that acts as a wrapper around some low level functions written
> in C.

what functions do you expect? e.g. string = readFromMemory(address, size)
is dead simple to implement as C extension - the other problem is your OS
that prevents you from reading from arbitrary addresses...

(on linux there is the memory file in /proc where you can dig in the memory
as root - should be simple to use with open and seek file operations)

chris

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>