Problem using VC6sp5 to compile extensions - PyObject_HEAD_INIT

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Tue May 14 02:20:52 EDT 2002

I've had a bug report for the kjbuckets module:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100662&aid=555391&group_id=662

In summary, trying to "python setup.py install" the kjbuckets module
distributed with the new Gadfly package results in:

"""
kjbucketsmodule.c(3301) : error C2099: initializer is not a constant
kjbucketsmodule.c(3321) : error C2099: initializer is not a constant
kjbucketsmodule.c(3341) : error C2099: initializer is not a constant

I attempted to revert these lines to the version found in an earlier
kjbuckets.tgz updated for python 2.2 I have by "jfarr at speakeasy.org" dated
from 1/23/2002.
The old line was: PyObject_HEAD_INIT(0).
VC died during preprocessing with:
kjbucketsmodule.c(3301) : fatal error C1021: invalid preprocessor command
'PyObject_HEAD_INIT'

VC6 does not seem to be happy with the PyObject_HEAD_INIT(0) macro defined
in python22\include\object.h at line 68 or 73. I have not attempted to
compile python 2.2.1, so I don't know if this is a python problem or not.
"""

(quote from the bug submission)

Can anyone help?

    Richard