Multibyte Character Surport for Python

Jacob Hallen jacob at boris.cd.chalmers.se.cd.chalmers.se
Tue May 14 07:10:12 EDT 2002

I am Swedish and English is not my first language.

My view is that Python source code should be UTF-8, so that you can represent
multilingual strings in a readable way. However, I still think that
identifiers should be limited to ASCII.

Just like music score is the common language for written music, English
based programming languages have become the common base for programming.
Just like you have to learn how to read music score (unless you have a
perfect memory for tunes) to perform other peoples music, you need to learn
basic English in order to make your programs readable by others and be
able to read other peoples code.

I understand the attraction of using your native language for identifiers
and comments, but it is really the dark side of the source.

Jacob Hallén