Off Topic, But List Related -- Tired of Getting Spammed Via

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Sat May 25 12:41:02 EDT 2002

On Sat, May 25, 2002 at 11:27:00AM -0500, Peter F. Ferris wrote:
> "Get used to it"?!?!? You're kidding...

   Get used to it. Spam is the problem no one can get rid of entirely.

> I beg to differ.  Perhaps you didn't read about Shibboleth.  Clear text
> addresses do not appear anywhere in the messages unless the (l)user writes
> it in the message body.

   There are many ways to hide your e-mail address. None of them works.
Sooner or later your address leaked, and spammers get you.
   Don't use fake email addresses on Usenet:
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/fake-email.html
   Do not rely on email-hiding technics, at least do not rely on them alone.
Filter your incoming email using blacklists (see openrbl.org for a list) and
spamfilters (I recommend Vipul's Razor - razor.sf.net and SpamAssassin -
spamassassin.org). And above all - fight against spam. Never buy anything
from spammers. Complain to spammer's ISP (spamcop.net is one of the best
and most respected services to complain).

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru