which db should I use?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Mon May 13 06:52:12 EDT 2002

SAP, the big German DB company has a full featured open source free version
available. If you fill out a form, they'll even send you a CD with the
sources at no charge at all, not even postage. This is good, since the
sources for all the parts, including the DB, api and admin tools are a hefty
60+ megs.

http://www.sapdb.org/

"SAP DB is an open, SQL-based, relational database system that provides high
availability and performance scaling from small to very large
implementations.
In addition, SAP DB goes beyond relational database technology by offering
object orientation as well as support for managing unstructured data. It
supports open standards including SQL, JDBC and ODBC; access from Perl and
Python; and HTTP-based services with HTML or XML content.
SAP DB is platform independent, so users can deploy it for a wide array of
projects."

It's even usable for commercial purposes:
"Will applications using SAP DB have to be Open Source as well?
No. Applications are using SAP DB as a service similar to the way they are
using the operating system. The programming interfaces are released under
the GNU LGPL (Library or Lesser General Public License). Software linked
with the programming interfaces is not required to be released as Open
Source."

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA