[GERMAN] "ziegenproblem"

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Thu Mar 7 15:04:29 EST 2002

stefan antoni <sasoft at gmx.de> writes:
> sorry that i won't be able to explain this in english, i don't know the
> name of this problem in english, and the website which is about this
> problem is also in german.

Usually we call it the "Monty Hall problem".  Monty Hall was the host
of a TV game show where he actually played that game (put a prize behind
one of three doors, etc).

> i want to write this basic code in python:
> http://www.google.de/search?q=cache:Uugc3CH9SOQC:home.spektracom.de/ellrich/Ziegen.htm+ziegenproblem+basic+programm&hl=de
>
> i am still going to school, and we talked about this problem in a math
> lesson. since i haven't got a basic-interpreter, i'd like to translate
> this code into python, but i don't understand the code.
>
> anybody who knows basic and python as well?

Yes, but you don't really need a computer program to solve the
problem.  Just play the game a few times with a friend.  Pretend that
you are Monty, and put three cards on the table representing doors,
and put a coin under one of the cards representing the prize.  Have
your friend choose a card.  Then turn over one of the cards with no
coin underneath and ask your friend if he wants to switch to the other
card, and tell him to always switch.

Once you do this a few times, you will understand the paradox.