Python/Linux

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Sun Mar 31 20:34:02 EST 2002

* Robert Oschler <Oschler at earthlink.net> [2002-03-31 18:24 -0500]:
> [...] I'd like to know which Web site development tool you like the best,

As for a Python web application framework, I like WebWare. Zope is also cool,
especially if you can reuse an existing "product".

> because I'm going to assume that you're using one that integrates well with
> Python.

So you're speaking of a HTML editor or what?

> Bear in mind that I'm one of those who like to be spoiled by a nice WYSIWIG
                                                                      ^^^^^^^

There is no such thing as WYSIWYG - and as a long-time (Windows) developer you
sure know ;-) It's really WYSIWYMGITEUHETSC (what you see is what you might get
if the end-user has exactly the same configuration). After all, HTML is a
*markup* language, not a page layout system. But of course, you can tell the
browser what you think is a good layout by means of CSS.

> IDE if possible.

If you're into WYSIWYMG, I prefer Mozilla's Composer for that. I use it for
prototyping pages. Editing HTML I do with a real editor [tm]. Mine is vim.

> Here's is the choice list I've built up after surfing much, post much, and
> reading much replies:
> Quanta
> Bluefish
> PHP (Will I need to learn this or any other scripting lang if I'm using
> Python for all my custom site stuff?)

No, you can do can do everything in Python. Using a framework like
Webware/Quixote/Albatross/... makes this even easier. Apart from that, I'm no
fan of code-in-html style programming, though all the frameworks support it in
one way or the other.

> Open Office's HTML tool
> Delph/Kylix with perhaps kbmWABD (I'm Delphi prog'er too)
> IBM's WebSphere home page builder (yes I know it cost a little)

That, and Mozilla seem to be your only options for Linux-native WYSIWYMG.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 6.3 °C      Wind: 0.5 m/s