The language vs. the environment

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Mar 6 23:24:08 EST 2002

[Skip Montanaro]
> There has been a huge amount of recent PEP activity related to further
> enhancements to the language.  I think in general that if more of this
> energy was directed at the overall environment (library, support tools,
> installers, documentation, etc) we'd be better off in the long run.

Let's not discount the short run either <wink>.  Guido opined today that he
wants 2.3 to be a relatively modest "consolidation" release.  As a result, I
don't expect he's going to approve "new feature" PEPs for 2.3 that aim at
the core language proper.

to-everything-there-is-a-season-and-a-time-for-every-purpose-under-
    python-ly y'rs  - tim