Redirecting output in Windows NT

Syver Enstad syver-en+usenet at online.no
Tue Mar 12 21:26:06 EST 2002

peter.schwalm at epost.de (Peter Schwalm) writes:

> > >It is a bug in the NT command prompt.  Works OK in Win2k.  I
> believe
>
> > >there is a FAQ on it too.
> > >
> You state that *output* redirection works OK in Win2k. I could verify
> that, but unfortunately it's not true for the redirection of *input*.
> If I want to redirect input, I still have to use the form
>
>     python myprog.py <inputfile
>
> instead of the simpler
>
>     myprog <inputfile

Yes, this is a pain in the ass to say the least. Especially since
myprog.py has to be in the current directory(or be fully specified) in
the first version, while it just has to be situated in the os path in
the second.

Has anyone pointers to any information regarding this problem, which
is an OS problem as far as I can see. It leads to Python programs not
being quite real executables under the win2k and probably other win32
os'es, which is a shame since Python is such an intensely practical
tool.

I've tried some Google searches for this problem, but have not come up
with anything. How are other scripting languages doing?

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad