ANN: Logging Module v0.4 released

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 21:59:03 EST 2002

> Having looked at the excellent work being done here, I wonder what's
> happening at the other end of the pipeline. That is, what's listening for
the
> events that the logger is generating? Has anyone got any plans to write a
> logging sink for the other end?

There is a rudimentary logging sink provided (as an example and test
harness) with the distribution - logrecv.py. It can be run to listen for
logging events on TCP, UDP or both.

> The sink would perform the following duties:
>  - accept events from the logging module via all the logging module's
>    handlers
>  - present a display of the events to a user, either graphically or
>    textually (the most basic of these would resemble the UNIX tail -f)
>  - redistribution of events to other targets
>  - filter incoming events, possibly aggregating, possibly dropping
>  - have state which would be affected by the filters and may cause new
>    events to be generated (ie. escalation)
Presently, logrecv.py just logs according to whatever the logging policy is
on the machine where it is running. This allows, for example, logging to
Unix syslogs from an NT-based application, or logging to NT event logs from
a Unix-based application. Most of the functionality you've described above
(e.g. GUI) would be fairly application specific. Certainly, the logging
system delivers (I hope) what is expected of it - accepting events of
interest and passing them flexibly to handlers. Presentation, sophisticated
filtering, aggregation etc. are all in the application domain, and I'd
certainly be interested to hear more about specific applications.

Regards

Vinay Sajip
Red Dove Consultants Ltd.
http://www.red-dove.com/