ConfigParser -> Section name through Option value

Greg Krohn infinitystwin.SPAM at IS.BAD.yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 18:08:15 EST 2002

"domi" <dk at flexis.de> wrote in message news:3CA375B1.9070802 at flexis.de...
> Hi,
>
> can somebody help me with this ConfigParser (ini-file) problem:
> Is it possible to get a Section name through an Option value
> (ConfigParser), e.g.:
>
> [foo]
> name = python
>
> how can I get the section name 'foo' through the option value 'python'?
> Any idea???
>
> thanks dominik

The problem is that 'python' may be the value for any number of options in
any number of sections.
If you have:

[foo]
name = python
snake = python

[bar]
name = perl
snake = python
name = java

Which one do you want? I would loop through each section, then through each
option. Something like this:

results = []
for section in cp.sections():
    for option in cp.options(section):
        if cp.get(section, option) == 'python':
            results.append((section, option))

Now you have a list of section\option pairs.