Using HTMLHelp files with win32all-146 for Python22

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Fri Mar 15 12:35:43 EST 2002

The only thing I really miss from the ActiveState build of Python was
the fine helpfiles they had. Looking up things in that HTML stuff
sucks! And it gets worse when you install VPython, which replaces
index.html with its own docs.

Anyway, the official Python website has the docs in HTMLHelp format:

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/doc/2.2/html-help-2.2.chm

So now only to change Pythonwin to use them. First I hacked
pythonwin/framework/help.py, but the recommended way is probably this:
In the registry, in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore\2.2\Help\Main Python
Documentation

edit the variable to point to the .chm file rather than the
index.html. That works! Now I only hope this isn't spelled out in
large fonts somewhere in the doc & therefor obvious ;)