Python's Syntax

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Mar 1 12:10:43 EST 2002

David Russell wrote:

> I've had a look at a couple of tutorials for Python and it appears
> like
> this:
>
> if condition == TRUE:
>     do this
>
> How do you tell it when to stop? I just can't figure out how to do it.
> Could
> somebody explain it to me please, even though I have a strange
> suspicious
> that it is one of the simplest deatils imaginable.

That's an if statement, there's no "stopping" involved; it simply tests
the condition and then executes the "then" clause if it evaluates to
true.

You probably meant somethinng like a while loop:

	while condition:
	    statements

this continues to execute the statements while condition evaluates to
true.  It's precisely the same as C's

	while (condition)
	{
	    statements
	}

> Also, another thing about Python's syntax. Are statements just
> sperated by
> their lines, or do they have some form of seperator (like a
> semi-colon)?

You can use semicolons to separate multiple statements on the same line:

	x = 1; print x

/  \ Laws are silent in time of war.
\__/ Cicero
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.