PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Greg Weeks weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com
Sat Mar 30 09:49:01 EST 2002

Guido van Rossum (guido at python.org) wrote:
: I offer the following PEP for review by the community.  If it receives
: a favorable response, it will be implemented in Python 2.3.

Having read this note (and nothing else on the subject), I vote "no".

I would, though, be happy to see built-in variables bound to 0 and 1.

Here is the argument that I find most compelling.  The annoyance of
seeing

    >>> true
    1

is more than offset by the value of being reminded that Python, unlike
Java, attributes truth and falsity to objects that are not explicitly
boolean.

Greg