Most important extensions?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sun Mar 31 20:05:26 EST 2002

"Aahz" <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote in message
> I'm teaching Python for [Perl] Programmers at OSCON this July.  I've
> already decided to mention mxODBC, NumPy, and PIL, plus PythonPoint (aka
> ReportLab) gets a mention on my title page.  I'd like this group to vote
> on the most important extensions for me to add to this list.  Please vote
> for no more than three.

There's only one:  ActiveState's win32all -- the COM access to other
programs is worth millions.

Actually, make that two:  PyChecker -- because who's perfect all the time
(except for timbot and f/bot)

No, no, it's three:  Gadfly -- who doesn't need portable, full blown SQL
capabilities every now and again.

Darn, three is the limit.  I must not mention htmlgen or piddle no matter
how useful there are.  Yes, I definitely will play by the rules and not
mention them or even python mega-widgets.  Lips sealed, I won't say their
names even under intense questioning. That's all I have to say and you can't
make me name any more than three.  The psycho optimizer is right out.
Unmentionable and way, way off the list of three.

Raymond Hettinger, CPA