PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sat Mar 30 17:52:23 EST 2002

>>     1) Should this PEP be accepted at all.

[Pearu Peterson]
> It seems that this is already decided as Guido is the author and also
> the only one who accepts PEPs.

Guido has rejected his own PEPs before.  It depends on the quality of
arguments raised, both pro and con.

> In future (Python 2.>=3, >3), are these constructs valid or must they
> be replaced with
>
>   while bool(x):
>
> ? :(

Under the PEP "while x:" continues to work fine.

> Ka-Ping Yee has raised related conserns in
>
>   http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-March/020893.html
>
> that never got a proper answer from Guido nor others.

There are 8 replies to his msg.  I don't know what you mean by "proper".
Under the PEP, none of the stuff he was worried about breaks, and that was
explained.  I thought Greg Ewing's reply was more than enough:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-March/020921.html