scripting Outlook express with Python

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Mon Mar 11 10:09:56 EST 2002

sandskyfly at hotmail.com (Sandy Norton) wrote in message news:<b03e80d.0203100045.6ea2ae06 at posting.google.com>...
> Does anyone have any experience, code, etc...? I guess my first
> question should be: is it possible?

Ignoring the platform switch recommendations (which are probably meant
for your own good, anyway), I would use something like PythonWin to
investigate the type libraries and automation objects available to
you.

Use the "Tools" -> "COM Browser" menu option to take a look at the
huge number of COM interfaces that are likely to be around on your
desktop. Hopefully, you will find one for Outlook Express - I found
"OutlookExpress.MessageList".

Then, use the "Tools" -> "COM Makepy utility" menu option to see the
available libraries, and see if there's anything relevant. The version
of Outlook I have uses the "Microsoft Outlook 9.0 Object Library
(9.0)" but you would need to check with the Microsoft documentation to
see what Outlook Express provides - their Web site usually has this
kind of information on it.

Paul