Standalone Win32 wxPython apps?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at geocities.com
Sun Mar 10 01:53:15 EST 2002

I've done this for a commercial shop at which I used to work (5 or 6
projects).  Using py2exe was the most satisfactory approach I found.
I'd used the Installer before that, both worked, but py2exe seemed more
understandable to me.

I needed to hack around some things (such as PIL's plugins), but
basically py2exe caught most dependencies and created a running app.  I
passed the output of py2exe onto our installer dude and he wrapped it
with standard installers (installshield if I recall correctly).  Users
seemed happy with the results.

I eventually made some modifications so that the output directory was
the Python path for the application so that I could install plugins/new
python code without needing to re-install the DLLs.

Enjoy,
Mike

Grant Edwards wrote:
> I'm considering writing a wxWindows app for Win32.  The only
> way I'm willing to do this is by doing all of the development
> under Unix, and then grit my teeth while I package up the final
> product for Win32.

> In order for it to be useful, I'll need to be able to
> distribute it as a stand-alone app to users who don't have (or
> care to have) a regular Python or wxWindows distro installed.
>
> Optimally, it would be a single "exe" file that doesn't require
> any installation procedure.  If that's not possible, it would
> be permissible to use a typical "isntall-wizard" type
> installation: running the exe installs the required files
> somewhere, adds a start-menu entry, leaves an un-installer
> around.
>
> It looks like Gordon McMillan's installer might fit the bill.
>
> Anybody care to share any experiences distributing wxWindows
> apps for Win32?

   Mike C. Fletcher
   http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/