Debugging on windows via print statements -- reliable?

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Mon Mar 25 07:24:57 EST 2002

Since you're running a console app, I'd suggest two
changes to your test setup.

1) Execute the program from the DOS prompt, not from
PythonWin.
2) Redirect stdout to a file.

The first suggestion is simply to eliminate one possible
variable - if switching to a raw command prompt changes
something, you've got more data, if it doesn't, you've
eliminated a possible candidate.

At the command prompt, you can set up a .bat file
that runs the app very conveniently, and does the
redirection. It's a couple of keystrokes and mouse
taps more than running it under PythonWin, but I
find that it's worth it.

John Roth

"Nick Arnett" <narnett at mccmedia.com> wrote in message

> [...]
I'm
> sure of is that it's not a problem with the database.  It happens at a
> different point each time, sometimes after a few dozen pages,
sometimes
> after a couple of hundred.  And I can re-do the same sequence of pages
and
> it'll freeze/loop/stop/whatever at a different point each time.  The
process
> is alive, there's no memory size change and it's consuming very few
CPU