Is Python an object based programming langauge?

Donnal Walter donnal at donnal.net
Tue Mar 12 13:52:31 EST 2002

drevenhaug at hotmail.com (Graz Bukanoff) wrote in message news:<f240ab4a.0203110731.3e5bec3c at posting.google.com>...
> Is Python an object based programming langauge?

I am a programmer by avocation only, not by profession or training, so
you'll have to take this with a grain of salt. But I first started
using object-oriented techniques nearly twenty years ago, implementing
Object-Oriented Forth from Dick Pountain's book by the same name.

I am currently working on a project in which I consider
object-oriented principles (such as encapsulation and inheritance) to
be crucial. Previously I tried to undertake this project in Visual
Basic, Java with AWT, Eiffel, and Java with Swing in that order. I
have accomplished more with Python and wxPython in six months than I
did in six years with the other development environments. Does that
make Python object-based or object-oriented? I don't know, but I know
that I am happy with Python.

Donnal Walter, M.D., Ph.D.
Arkansas Children's Hospital