module for accessing dBase (.dbf) files?

Harald Schneider h_schneider at marketmix.com
Wed Mar 20 05:51:40 EST 2002

"Ondrej Martinek" <oma at gncz.cz> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3C725F2C.2020406 at gncz.cz...
> Hi,
>
> anyone knows a python module for accessing dBase .dbf files.  All
> modules I've found so far didn't support index files.
>
> Regards
> --ondra

http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/software/python/ offers
a dbfreader module, but that, too, works only for reading.

http://www.fiby.at/dbfpy.html offers a link to a package
that handles DBF files with Python, but it seems largely
unsupported.  Maybe that one can write the files, too.

There's a project at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbase-py/
but it doesn't seem to have done much.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdb/ is a C++ library for
dBase manips and advertises Perl and Python as languages
too (presumably via wrappers), you may want to look at it.

If you're willing to go commercial,
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-announce-list/2001-January/000641.ht
ml
announces a wrapper for the Codebase library sold by
Sequiter (www.sequiter.com) that should do what you
want, but the wrapper doesn't include the library and
you do have to pay for the latter (after a 30-days time
to evaluate it).

Bye,
Harald