[pygresql] Please suggest

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Tue Mar 19 18:57:03 EST 2002

Le 19/03/02 à 15:10, Suraj Peri écrivit:
> Dear Group,
>  Please excuse me if my question is not appropriate
> for this group. We are planning to make a public
> object oriented database for genes and proteins (
> biological databases are generally huge and has lots
> of inter-relationships).
> While planning this, my friend is very much particular
> about using Zope.
> Our plan is using PostgreSQL-PHP tiers.
> there will be many relationships between our objects.
> Now the question is is Zope more sophisticated in
> dealing with objects than PostgreSQL? if so is this
> sophistication is in dealing with the complexity of
> relationships between objects or something else?
>
> Please suggest is ZOPE a good and better choice that
> PostgreSQL-PHP or PostgreSQL-JDBC-Java client
> interface.

Well, PHP, ZOPE and Java servlets are only technologies for the
frontend. It doesn't matter much which one you choose - either one will
work. But in IMO Python and Java better languages than PHP. And,
compared to Java, Python is far easier to develop with. Btw. I've also
seen some open-source computational biology libraries for Python
mentioned on the comp.lang.python newsgroup.

The much more important decision to make is which backend technology
(database) to choose. AFAIK PostgreSQL is not really an Object Database,
though it may have some features that go in this direction.

I basically see two options
1) a relational database, like PostgreSQL
2) an object database, like ZODB (for Python, part of Zope). There are
also several open-source object databases for Java

But to say which one is more appropriate, we'd have to know more of the
requirements.

One more hint: if you want to reuse Java libraries from an easy-to-use
language like Python, you can use Jython (http://www.jython.org/). It's
a Python interpreter than runs in the JVM.

As for a more perhaps more appropriate place to ask, I don't know a
newsgroup that has this exact topic, but I think you might get value
advice in the comp.lang.python newsgroup, or the Python mailing list,
which is basically the same thing, just via email.

Come to think of it, I'l just cc the Python mailing list. Have an eye
there (or in the newsgroup, whichever you prefer).

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930