Has Mark Hammond attained pariah status yet?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Thu Mar 14 05:09:48 EST 2002

Patrick wrote:
> "Mark Hammond" <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote in message
> news:3C8E7E90.6000608 at skippinet.com.au...
>

>>[...]  The book I am working on now is *not* Python for .NET,
>>but just .NET.  Python doesn't get much of a mention :(
>

> Mark, out of curiosity: how did you conclude that the Python community is
> not interested in .NET compatibility? Was it based on the lack of
> contributions to your trial implementation? Or was it a perception that
> Python *users* are not interested?

I would describe it more as a healthy skeptisism towards .NET, but I see
this starting to thaw slightly with the Open Source efforts.  The Python
community is not overflowing with Microsoft apologists or zealots ;)

But if I combine this with the fact that new .NET beta releases often
breaks the Python compiler but I have only received 2 complaints in a
year, I concluded that interest is not yet high :)

Don't forget .NET 1.0 has only recently been released into production -
the "wait and see" attitude is quite prudent for many Python users.

Mark.