The Python Way

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue Mar 26 16:51:55 EST 2002

In article <j2m1au4se21mc222877l06690vei117jc3 at 4ax.com>,
Dale Strickland-Clark  <dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk> wrote:
>"Dean Goodmanson" <ponderor at lycos.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
>>classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code -- not
>>in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  Guido van Rossum
>
>I didn't see the original post but I *really* hope this was said in
>jest.
>
>Or is Guido getting writing software and writing novels confused?

Not in the slightest.  Guido was responding to constructs like this:

    lock.acquire()
    try:
        code
        code
        code
        code
        code
        code
        code
        code
        code
        code
        code
        code
    finally:
        lock.release()

In any large application, it gets *tiresome* to see this, particularly
if you add another layer of nested try/except.

"We should forget about small efficiencies, about 97% of the time.
Premature optimization is the root of all evil."  --Knuth