pythonwin and raw_input

Dimitris Garanatsios rs96057 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 19:34:44 EST 2002

> Does anyone know how to access the builtin raw_input function in
pythonwin?
> Pyhtonwin overrides it with a dialog box.  This doesn't work out too well
> with the following:

The same problem used to torture me but i think the most proper solution is
just to ignore it...
You could make a shortcut to run your program or run it from a Command
prompt, in which case everything should work fine (as far as the "raw_input"
part is concerned...)

In general i try to avoid running programs from within IDEs, such as IDLE or
PythonWin, and the reason is that initialisation of the interpreter after
the program exits cannot be done, leading someone to problems and
mischief... (for example if you had imported a module from the interactive
window of PythonWin, then the module would be available in the namespace of
module __main__ of any loaded script even without a direct import statement
from within your program!)

I also have noticed problems when running  wxPython applications from within
PythonWin...
So unless you can't avoid it, don't use the "Run" command (although it is
still useful for small scripts and for testing purposes...)

Dimitris