PEP 262 (database of installed Python packages)

Andy Elvey andy.elvey at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 2 21:59:57 EST 2002

Hi all.
  I've just been mulling over this (_very_ good and welcome!) PEP.  In fact,
this suggestion is _so good_  that I'd like to "widen" it somewhat.   Allow
me to explain .... (and please forgive the slight diversion past "Rubyland"
.... :-)
  I've spent a _frustrating_ amount of time with a _Ruby_ package that can't
find various files.  Now, I knew about PEP 262, so I was thinking in general
terms,  it would be *truly* wonderful if there were a (standard?) database
of  *all*  installed packages (Python, Ruby, and whatever else) - maybe in a
directory called "search".   In Linux, this could be "/search" ,  in Win32
"C:\search".
  ( I'm just trying to get maximum value for any effort put into the search
area , as this _really_ is a bugbear for most prog languages .....  :-) .
I'm mulling over putting in a RCR (Ruby change request) , with the
possibility of that being co-ordinated with PEP262.
   If this were to be done (an all-in-one database),  it would certainly
take a fair amount of coordination, with say Matz and a few others .  In
Linux, maybe the creation of a standard "search" directory and database
would fall into the LSB (Linux Standard Base) area - I'm aware that v1 of
that has just been done, so this may take a while.  Windows may be more
problematic .....
   Anyway - just thought I'd test the waters on this - is there anyone else
out there who'd love to see a single "search database"?  ( Imagine - no more
fiddling with this path, or that path , blah blah .... )  Thanks for your
time, and for your comments !